Monday, February 28, 2011

Fractals = >


"THREE BEASTS"
KILN CASTED, SAND BLASTED GLASS BONES

frac•tal

–noun Mathematics, Physics .
…as the perimeter of a curve or the flow rate in a porous medium, behave as if the dimensions of the structure (fractal dimensions) are greater than the spatial dimensions.
 
For a few cold winter days this season, I had the blessing to see some amazing icy textures appear and vanish before my eyes. The images I shot provoked thoughts about fractals and their sense of “awe in the moment”. And then they vanished. My post-melt grief sparked new spins on old existential questions. The sense of temporality, feeling alive, and digging deeper for creative purpose.

I immerse myself with what I am creating and the space I am in. Each touch to a wall with my trowel or brush is etched by the present moment dancing with whats to come. Endless trowel strokes…. And the last movement fades. It’s amazing how one tool can change your purpose.







When we are in a place that speaks to us, we feel spacious and whole. Feeling becomes greater than words, depth is infinite.


This is the part of art-making that keeps me moving. I dream of innovative and unique forms and textures which evoke the senses..beyond words. Seeing an otherwise introverted client smile and move in excitement as she stares at her walls is the part of my job I love the best. Looking at a whole house and knowing my hands were on every square inch definitely gets me a bit misty eyed. Every project is a chance to sink into it, to daydream, drive, and execute.

Recently, my Mom got the chance to see me work on a project. She said to me “I can tell you love your work and your work loves you”. Just as each stroke is boundless, my love for my work grows infinite.

“To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palms of your hand and eternity in an hour.”Auguries of Innocence, William Blake

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Neil Gamble, hope this receives you in fine fettle having fun and clearly enjoying your work.
    I,v been lucky enough to have worked from Paris to Provence to Morocco for 12 years. I'm now based in England putting together a show room of stucco a whole palace of materials from America to Italy to France and Morocco.
    then kick back and let the universe work its magic..
    Love and peace of mind from Devon England

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Neil! What kinds of natural plasters are you showcasing these days? Do share! I wish you many more mediums & creative promishes ahead!

    ReplyDelete