Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Un-Earth

Late summer 2012 gifted me the chance to channel my instincts to a molten glow. We spend our days and nights managing our ideas...trying to figure out which ones are brightest. August swelled with plaster projects..."Aim, trowel, fire!!" September gifted the chance to unearth simmered creative potential.

I received a scholarship to attend Pilchuck Glass School, a place to work within nature and offer your hands to glass, all set in the serenity of the Pacific Northwest. 3 days to make! Blast off! I'll sleep later.




There were plenty of things to learn; glassblowing, enameling, engraving, and the list goes on. Hot casting was calling me back to it's primal roots. Hello again dirt and fire!

We grabbed our shovels and used our hands to sift the sand and clay, forming and manipulating with anything imaginable. As the process unfolds, time shifts. Damp soil and daydreams fade. Enter the furnace. Time to execute. Picking up the ladle signals complete presence.






2225 degrees waved over me as the gate opened and my power unleashed. No fear of igniting into flames, I control IT. Molten on sand with precision. I sculpt into it while I can, taking control of the material and commanding it once again. Artists give a clap...only after the blades have dug deep and the annealer doors close.




Creativity is a haven. A place where you can dig deep, not question your thoughts but only act upon on them as process and material un-earth.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might…" King Solomon



1 comment: