Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Getting Lost

Yesterday while working on a project, a finish carpenter approached me and said "I will try not to talk much, you are obviously lost in your work." Immediate resonation as I shook my head and said "Yes, I do get lost in my work."

Silence again and more focus. On to the next edge.

I've received alot of feedback over the years about my work and that one really sticks. I love that my love for my work creates a glow that people can see and feel.

Getting lost is a good thing.



I picked up a trowel in 2000 and haven't stopped since. Lost in the moment, all the daily angst receeds. Paying attention advances.

Suddenly.

Eyes focus, cheeks flush, sweat and grit begin.



From edge to edge you are fully dedicated, present, "in the moment" as most pop self-help books say.

Plastering gives you a visible start, middle, and end. Voices chatter, trowels crunch then fade..quiet liminal persistence. Then the end. An "Ah!" this is worth it. Can't wait to do it again!



Your work transforms, transcends daily life. Things don't mean so much. Only moments.

Trowel On!



Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. Henry David Thoreau





No comments:

Post a Comment